Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday Made It--Chalkboard Style.

Hi there, teacher friends!
It's been quite some time since I've blogged in this little corner of the world wide web! Oops!

A leave of absence wasn't intentional, but I think it matched my season of life. I returned from SE Asia in March and jumped full force into applying for jobs. I job faired, emailed, made phone calls, etc. The search ended (Hallelujah!!!!) and I now have quite the story to tell, but I will save that for a bit later.

Anyways, 
I'm back for Monday Made It because I made something...on a Monday! 


Link up your own project or check out the other projects {here}! Thanks for hosting, Tara!

(#1 and only :) )

Chalkboard paint is such a lovely thing. You can paint just about any surface! One of my friends painted an old globe, another teacher friend brushes paint on the end of clear bins to label the contents with chalk and another friend painted the back of a bookshelf! I love that she didn't let any space of the classroom go to waste, and her kiddos love using the chalkboard for word work! 

Here's a picture of her finished product:

There are just so many great uses for chalkboard paint. So, while I was cruising the Goodwill outlet store, I found this circular piece of wood for $0.89. Perfect for  some chalkboard paint, right?! 


All that you need is paint, a brush, chalk and a rag (not pictured). 


A very important step to creating a chalkboard surface is to prepare the surface (there is a fancy name for this step, but I cannot remember it at this moment). This simply means that you rub chalk all over the surface and wipe away with a rag!


My finished product looks like this!


Still to come: a cute ribbon so that I can hang the chalkboard! I haven't decided on a particular ribbon, so I decided to just post my (almost finished) chalkboard. The plan is to hang it on my door or a wall!

------------------------------
In unrelated news, have you read or are you reading Guided Math? I am reading through it now and SO excited that {The Primary Gal} is doing a summer book study! Hoping to post some thoughts and reflections in the coming weeks, and looking forward to reading through other teachers' ideas.

Hope you consider joining! Have a blessed day, teachers!

6 comments:

  1. Way cute! Love chalkboard paint:) Thanks for linking up:)
    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! I have never used chalkboard paint before, but may just have to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I've only done DIGITAL chalkboard paint activities. LOL I may just have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!
    3rd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, cute, cute! I think I'm going to try this! Thanks for sharing!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a small obsession with everything chalkboard. I love your project.

    Jennifer
    Jenuine Possibilities

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I've been dying to try chalkboard paint, but have been reluctant. I might have to try it this summer.

    Super Sparkly in Second

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover